This homemade strawberry lip balm recipe is made with all natural ingredients like pure beeswax, Vitamin E and real freeze dried strawberries! Quick and easy to make, this is a fun project to do with your kids and these sweet little lip balms make great additions to gift baskets.
With 4 girls in the house, we seem to go through an insane amount of lip balm! Honestly, I feel like I would buy a pack of Burts Bees chapsticks only to have hem disappear in a week. (its almost as bad as those disappearing bobby pins!) All natural lip balm isn’t cheap either! I’m pretty careful about the ingredients we’re putting on our lips, so making homemade just seemed like the best alternative.
When I was a little girl, my mom had a little glass container of pink strawberry lip gloss that my sister and I would always ask to use. It seemed like she had it in her purse for my whole childhood! I really wanted to recreate a homemade version of that strawberry lip balm for my girls. This is the recipe we came up with that we are all LOVING! It leaves my lips feeling rehydrated and smooth. I don’t have to worry about what chemicals I’m putting into my body because I know that each ingredient we use to make this lip balm is 100% natural.
Why You Will Love Making This Lip Balm
- You can whip up enough lip balm to last your family all Winter in just 15 minutes!
- All natural, no worrisome chemicals
- Moisturizing and soothing for dry and burning lips
- These strawberry lip balms are so pretty and make great party favors or additions to gift baskets
- Smells and even tastes delicious if you happen to lick your lips after applying it!
What You Need to Make Homemade Strawberry Lip Balm
- White Beeswax Pellets
- Vitamin E Oil
- Shea Butter
- Coconut Oil
- Almond Oil
- Raw Honey
- 5-10 drops of essential oils – I used Grapefruit and Orange oils to give this strawberry lip balm a fruit punch flavor. Peppermint oil is also very cooling and typically used in chapstick. If you use a “hot” essential oil like peppermint or cinnamon, use only 5 drops total.
- Freeze Dried Strawberries
- Lip Balm Containers – I used these little glass jars, but these gold metal tins would be perfect too!
How to Make Homemade Strawberry Lip Balm
Prep – Crush the freeze dried strawberries by sealing them in a zip lock baggie and rolling over them with a rolling pin until you are left with a fine strawberry powder. Set aside.
Use a double boiler to heat about a cup of water over medium heat. I made a homemade version of a double boiler by heating the cup of water in a saucepan with a bowl set on top of it.
Melt – Add all of the ingredients besides honey and the essential oils to the bowl of your double boiler. Let these melt, stirring occasionally until the mixture is completely melted.
Remove the pot from the heat and add in the honey and essential oils of your choice, stirring completely. Add in the powdered strawberries. Keep mixing til the mixture starts to cool and thicken just a bit.
Spoon – As soon as the mixture is starting to thicken up, spoon it into the containers.
Let Harden – Let your lip balms cool and harden for about an hour.
Stir Completely – Don’t pour the lip balm mixture into the containers while its completely melted. Keep stirring and let it cool and thicken just a bit. This will keep the strawberries from sinking to the bottom as it hardens.
Use – This lip balm should be used within 6 months.
More Handmade Ideas For You
If you try making this homemade strawberry lip balm, I would love it if you use the 5 star rating in the comments below! It helps me so much!