Learn how to make DIY baby lotion at home. It is so simple and calls for ingredients like coconut oil, shea butter and gentle essential oils you probably already have in your medicine cabinet. After you see just how simple it is to make all natural baby lotion, you’ll never want to waste money on expensive store-bought brands again!
When it comes to caring for babies, I’m a real stickler for making sure the ingredients are safe and natural. Heck, when you read the ingredients on most things anymore, you can’t even pronounce them! it of 6 kids, my last 3 have had really sensitive skin. I started buying the most natural scent free baby wash and lotions I could find, but those things aren’t exactly budget friendly, you know.
The last few years, I’ve started making my own toiletries for my family, as well as baby care items. Its so much easier and less expensive than you’d think! I can whip up enough DIY baby lotion for 6 months in a few minutes and for only a few dollars. And you can too!
You have to give this homemade baby wash a try too!
You can scent this lotion with gentle essential oils or just leave it scent free for babies with very sensitive skin. That’s the great thing about making these things from scratch: you can customize them however you want!
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Get my full disclosure here.
Is Coconut Oil Good For Newborn Skin?
Coconut oil is safe to use on babies’ skin. It’s naturally moisturizing and can help clear up eczema or baby acne. Its great for babies with very sensitive skin since it doesn’t contain any fragrances or chemicals. The perfect ingredient for DIY baby lotion and other skin care products.
Can I Use Raw Shea Butter On My Baby’s Skin?
Shea butter is safe to use on any type of skin, even newborn babies’. It moisturizes without any chemicals, sulfates, parabens, preservatives or fragrances. Shea butter contains vitamins A and E and anti-inflammatory properties that can quickly clear up eczema flair ups. Basically, its a wonderful thing to have on hand for your new baby!
What You Need To Make DIY Baby Lotion At Home
- Organic Raw Shea Butter – softens your skin, and tones and soothes. Shea butter is also known for its anti inflammatory properties making it a wonderful ingredient for homemade baby care products.
- Organic Coconut Oil – is naturally antifungal, antibacterial and full of fatty acids. Coconut oil is an all natural moisturizer that’s safe to use on even the most new and sensitive skin.
- Beeswax Pellets – adding beeswax to your lotion helps to make it feel less greasy on your baby’s skin while still moisturizing.
- Sweet Almond Oil – has healing properties that make it helpful with baby acne and eczema. Jojoba oil is a good substitute if that’s what you have on hand.
- Vitamin E Oil – is high in antioxidants and known for its healing benefits, vitamin E oil helps nourish and protect your baby’s skin.
- Essential Oils – for babies its important to choose essential oils that are very gentle since little ones can easily have a bad reaction to certain scents. If your baby has very sensitive skin, just leave the essential oils out completely. This is the brand I like to use.
Supplies You Will Need To Make DIY Baby Lotion At Home
- Double Boiler (a glass bowl on top of a saucepan will work too)
- Stand Mixer or handheld beaters
- Glass Jars or containers to store your lotion in
Which Essential Oils Are Safe To Use On Babies’ Skin?
Certain oils are safe to use on your baby’s skin, but always make sure to heavily dilute essential oils with a carrier oil such as jojoba oil, almond oil or coconut oil.
Is It Easy To Make DIY Baby Lotion At Home?
It takes a few minutes of active prep time to whip up a batch of baby lotion that will last months. Best of all the ingredients and supplies you’ll need are pretty basic, things you probably already have on hand.
How Long Does DIY Baby Lotion Last?
Homemade baby lotion can be stored for up to 6 months in a sealed container at room temperature.
How To Make DIY Baby Lotion At Home
- Using a double boiler or a glass bowl on top of a pot with a few inches of water in it, heat the sweet almond oil, coconut oil, shea butter, vitamin E oil and beeswax over medium low heat until there are no solid bits left.
- Remove from the heat and add 5-10 drops of essential oils (if using) stirring completely.
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature and then place in the fridge for an additional hour until it has started to harden, but is still soft to the touch.
- Using a stand mixer or handheld beaters, whip the lotion mixture until it is light and fluffy, About 3 minutes.
To Use :
Rub on any areas of your baby’s skin that need moisturizing. Keep away from your eyes and private areas.
Store at room temperature in a glass container for up to 6 months.
Cocoa butter can be substituted for the shea butter.
Jojoba oil can be used in place of the almond `oil if that’s what you have on hand.
Switch up the essential oils or leave them out completely. Just make sure to choose oils that are safe for use on babies’ skin.
Whipping the lotion is optional if you don’t have time. Just put the lotion straight into a jar right after melting the ingredients and adding essential oils.
The beeswax is optional, but does help to make this lotion less greasy.
More DIY Ideas For You:
If you liked this recipe, I think you’ll really enjoy these other homemade toiletries on the blog!
- All Natural Baby Wash
- Homemade Honey Oatmeal Soap – With Pink Clay
- DIY Strawberry Lip Balm
- Homemade Orange Blossom Face Wash
- Handmade Orange Lip Balm
I hope you love this homemade baby lotion recipe! If you make it, I’d love for you to come back and leave a comment and rating so that I know how you like it!
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting At Home on the Prairie, it helps keep this blog keep going.