This homemade strawberry applesauce recipe is quick and easy to make in the instant pot. A healthy Summertime snack that kids will love!
I love making applesauce. Its just one of those homemade snacks that tastes so much better than the store-bought version!
Whenever my kids go shopping with me, they get to pick out a snack to add to the cart for school lunches. And a lot of the time, they would choose strawberry applesauce. So I thought, why not try and make some myself!
Its incredibly easy. There’s no need to peel the apples. You just have to wash, core, chop them up and add them to the instant pot. Same with the strawberries. Just wash them, cut off the ends and throw them in!
Have you tried making homemade Greek yogurt in the instant pot yet?
Now you can either leave your strawberry applesauce chunky or puree it with a blender or immersion blender. That will leave you with a smooth, sweet and tangy applesauce that tastes like delicious, ripe strawberries. Its just so good. You have to try it!
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Get my full disclosure here.
Why You’ll Like making homemade Strawberry applesauce
- tastes like regular applesauce, but with a richer, tangier flavor
- super easy – you literally just core and chop up the fruit, press the button and let the instant pot do it’s thing!
- takes 8 minutes of cooking time – after the pressure builds up in the instant pot, it takes 8 minutes of cooking time to completely soften the apples.
- no need to peel – you can peel the apples, but you definitely don’t have to!
- can be made smooth or chunky – If you want a smooth applesauce, all you have to do is run it through the blender to keep the peels in for added nutrition.
- healthy – loaded with fiber and antioxidants making it a nutritious snack option.
- can be made without added sugar – you can make this without any added sugar if you want to keep it as healthy as possible.
- its a great way to use up mushy strawberries
What You Need To Make homemade Strawberry applesauce
- apples – any apples will work for making homemade applesauce, but tart and sweet apple varieties are best.
- apple juice/cider – you need a 1/4 cup of liquid to build up pressure in the instant pot. Water would work, but using apple cider or apple juice doesn’t dilute the flavor of the applesauce.
- brown sugar – adding sugar is optional. I usually add sugar to mine since my kids enjoy it when its a bit sweeter. For a healthier option, try using honey or maple syrup instead.
- strawberries – you should try and use ripe strawberries that are a little soft and juicy. Using less ripe strawberries will make your applesauce taste a bit sour.
- instant pot – an instant pot is just a great kitchen appliance to have on hand because it has so many uses! I cook chicken, beans, corn, rice and even make homemade yogurt in mine!
- knife and cutting board– for cutting the fruit.
- immersion blender (optional) – if you want a smooth applesauce, use an immersion blender to blend it up.
FAQ About homemade Strawberry applesauce
can you make applesauce in the instant pot?
You sure can! Its super quick and easy. It takes just 8 minutes to pressure cook several pounds of apples until they are soft enough to mash with a fork.
can you leave the skins on when making applesauce?
No need to peel apples when you make applesauce. The cooking process softens the peels enough to be soft and tender.
If you want to remove them for a smoother applesauce, just press the cooked apples through a fine mesh strainer. Or you can blend the apples, skins and all in a blender or food processor.
what are the best apples to use for homemade applesauce?
Any apples will work to make homemade applesauce. But the best apples to use are tart, sweet and juicy. Using sweeter apples, you won’t have to to add as much sugar (or any at all!)
Johnathon, Pink Lady, Honey Crisp, Fuji ad Gala are my favorites for a flavorful, naturally sweet applesauce.
For no peel instant pot applesauce, avoid Granny Smith and Red Delicious apples because their peels are too tough and won’t be as easy to chew after being cooked.
how to store homemade applesauce?
You can store applesauce in several different ways:
- In an airtight container in the fridge for a week.
- In the freezer in a gallon sized zip lock bag for up to 6 months.
- Homemade applesauce can last up to 18 months if you can it. Here’s a step by step tutorial on canning applesauce.
How To Make homemade Strawberry applesauce
chop – Wash and dry the apples and strawberries. Remove the cores and stems and chop them into about 1 inch pieces.
add – Add the apples, strawberries, and juice/cider to the instant pot.
pressure cook – Replace the lid with the vent open. Secure the lid and close the vent. Set the instant pot to cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.
release – When the time is up, open the vent and quick release the steam.
sweeten – When the steam has finished releasing, open the lid and stir in the sugar (optional).
puree (optional) – For a smooth applesauce, blend with an immersion blender or regular stand blender until there are no chunks left.
Tips for success:
to serve – This strawberry applesauce can be served 2 ways.
- Keep it chunky by serving as is straight out of the instant pot.
- Blend it in the blender or use an immersion blender to chop up the peels.
to store – Homemade strawberry applesauce is good in the fridge for 1 week, or frozen in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
variations – Try other fruit variations by substituting chopped peaches, mango or other berries for the strawberries in this recipe.
substitutions – Water can be substituted for the juice.
More healthy Snack Recipes on the blog:
If you liked this recipe, I think you’ll really enjoy these other snacks on the blog!
- Apple Cider Vinegar Gummies
- Healthy Berry Jello
- Homemade Strawberry Marshmallows
- Rice Crispy Treats Sweetened With Dates
- Homemade Honey Lollipops
I hope you love this recipe for easy strawberry applesauce in the instant pot! If you make it, I’d love for you to come back and leave a comment and rating so that I know how you like it!