How to make healthy fudgesicles that are rich and creamy. Made with cocoa powder, raw honey, cream and yogurt. The perfect treat for a hot Summer day!
Chocolate fudge popsicles are the perfect way to cool down on a hot day and get your chocolate fix at the same time!
This Summer has been extra hot here in Kansas. We’ve had a full week of 100 degree weather. And I don’t know about you, but when the temperatures are really hot like that, I don’t feel like eating anything unless its frozen or a cold drink!
So we’ve swapped out our afternoon snack for homemade popsicles most days. The great thing is, you can make them any way you like! Swapping out typical ingredients for healthier options!
One of my favorite ways is to make them with yogurt for a frozen popsicle that is creamy instead of icy. Its just my personal preference, but I like to be able to bite my popsicle with my teeth instead of licking it. I don’t know, maybe that’s weird!
I know you’re going to love this recipe! Homemade fudgesicles are just the perfect Summer treat that can satisfy your sweet tooth and without you having to eat a bunch of sugar!
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Get my full disclosure here.
Why You’ll Like Healthy Fudgesicles
- tastes just like a fudgesicle – if you’re a fan of fudgesicles, then you will love these homemade fudge pops! They’re rich and fudgy with a smooth creamy texture.
- healthier – they’re made with more healthy ingredients than the fudgesicles you find in grocery stores. Sweetened with honey instead of sugar or high fructose corn syrup and made with gut healthy Greek yogurt.
- quick and easy to make – it takes 10 minutes to stir the ingredients together, then pop them in the fridge to pull them out a few hours later. Easy peasy!
- only 4 ingredients – you only need yogurt, honey, cream and cocoa powder to make these. The best part, no hidden added ingredients to worry about!
What You Need For Healthy Fudgesicles
- Greek yogurt – using full fat yogurt will make your popsicles more creamy and less icy. Plain, vanilla or honey yogurt will work in this recipe. If you use sweetened yogurt, leave out the honey in this recipe.
- honey – honey for sweetening the yogurt. Adjust the amount of honey to your taste.
- unsweetened cocoa powder – cocoa powder gives this recipe a wonderful chocolate flavor without adding very many calories!
- heavy whipping cream – adding heavy whipping cream to homemade yogurt popsicles will make them extra creamy.
- espresso powder – espresso powder is optional but if you have some on hand. Adding a little bit brings out a more rich chocolate flavor
- vanilla extract – its optional to add vanilla but it does add a more delicious flavor.
Have you tried making homemade yogurt in the instant pot?
- stand mixer or handheld beaters – for whipping the heavy cream.
- popsicle molds – if you haven’t gotten a popsicle mold yet, its a fun thing to have! There are so many different types popsicles to make all Summer long.
- popsicle sticks – just a pack of regular wooden sticks.
FAQ About Healthy Fudgesicles
can you freeze yogurt into a popsicle?
Yes! Yogurt popsicles are more creamy instead of icy like typical popsicles. You can make them in a lot of different flavors by mixing yogurt with fruit or chocolate.
Have you tried my Greek yogurt and fruit swirled popsicles yet?
Mixing a little heavy whipping cream into the yogurt makes it fluffier and creamier to where you can actually bite into the popsicles without giving yourself brain freeze.
how do you make popsicles creamy, not icy?
Popsicles that are made out of a liquid will freeze hard and have an icy texture. There are several things you can do to get your popsicles to turn out creamy:
- add sugar or honey to the mixture
- use a full fat milk or yogurt in milk-based popsicles
- add cornstarch to thicken and absorb any liquid
This recipe calls for a full fat yogurt with added heavy cream and honey to sweeten the mixture. The result is a popsicle that is thick, creamy and literally melts in your mouth!
how long does it take healthy fudgesicles to freeze?
It takes at least 4 hours to freeze yogurt popsicles. I usually freeze these popsicles for 8 hours to make sure they are completely frozen before trying to un-mold them.
how long do healthy fudgesicles last?
Depending on the type of popsicle molds you use, popsicles can last up to 2 weeks in the fridge. They can last longer if your molds are sealed very tightly around each popsicle stick. If not, they will start to develop a freezer burnt flavor.
what popsicle molds are the best?
There are so many options for popsicle molds! It really depends on whether you are going to eat all of the popsicles at once or want to save some for later.
These are my favorite molds to use, and I like them because it only has two pieces that need washing after using it. I also just like the shape of the popsicles it makes.
If you’re making popsicles to pull out one at a time, this popsicle mold would be really practical since you can remove the popsicles individually.
If you don’t like the idea of having to buy popsicle sticks, this mold has handles that come with it that you can wash and reuse.
how do you get popsicles out of the molds easily?
To make it easier to get popsicles out of a batch type mold, fill your sink with about 4 inches of warm water and set the mold in the water until the popsicles have loosened enough to slide them out easily. It usually only takes about 15 seconds.
For individual popsicle molds, run each popsicle under warm running water until the mold has loosened.
Healthy Fudgesicle Recipe
blend – With a stand mixer or handheld beaters, beat the heavy whipping cream until soft peaks start to form. You want to be able to see shapes in the whipping cream, but not stiff peaks.
combine – In a medium mixing bowl, stir the cocoa powder, yogurt, honey, and whipping cream together until the mixture is smooth. Add in the vanilla extract and espresso powder if you wat to use them. Don’t over mix.
pour – Spoon the chocolate mixture into the molds, tapping them on the counter to make sure there aren’t any air pockets left. Fill the molds leaving about 1/2 inch of empty space at the top for the popsicles to expand in the freezer.
add sticks – Stick the popsicle sticks in to the mold so that there is about 1.5 inches of the stick still showing on top of the mold.
freeze – Set the molds in the freezer and let the popsicles harden for at least 4 hours. 8 hours is better.
remove from molds – Loosen the popsicles from the molds and enjoy!
Tips For Success
serve – Remove the popsicles immediately before eating them. Loosen the molds by running them under warm water for 15 seconds or until the popsicles can slide out easily.
store – Popsicles can be kept in the freezer inside the molds for up to 2 weeks.
More Healthy Treats You Might Like To Try:
If you liked this recipe, I think you’ll really enjoy these other healthy dessert recipes on the blog:
- Apple Cider Vinegar Gummies
- Healthy Berry Jello
- Homemade Strawberry Marshmallows
- Rice Crispy Treats Sweetened With Dates
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Balls
I hope you love this recipe for healthy chocolate popsicles! If you make them, I’d love for you to come back and leave a comment and rating so that I know how you like them!
Pin these steps to try later. Tag @athomeontheprairie on Instagram to share what you’ve made with us!