The simplest homemade recipe for bubbles with glycerin for loads of cheap, wholesome fun this Summer! This super easy bubble solution is made with glycerin for strong, hard to pop bubbles.
Blowing bubbles is one of my kids’ favorite things to do outside in Summer. Its something they can all do at the same time (as long as we have enough wands to go around), and its cheap, easy fun!
But we go through the solution so fast! Luckily, its super easy to make homemade bubble solution, so you never have to run to the store for more ever again.
You probably found this post because you ran out of solution and you don’t want to make a trip to buy more, or you’ve tried making bubble solution and it didn’t turn out. There are so many recipes out there! Its hard to know which one to try!
Some recipes call for sugar, some for corn syrup, baking powder, cornstarch, dish soap…but which one is the best homemade bubble solution?
We want a solution that makes big bubbles that don’t pop easily or right after you blow them. The secret ingredient for sturdier bubbles is glycerin.
Glycerin is not hard to find, and a great thing to have on hand if you like to make things from scratch. I use it in my homemade baby wash.
This recipe is super quick and easy to make with only 3 ingredients: dawn dish soap, glycerin and plain old water. That’s it!
And in case you want to try making your own bubble wand, I added some instructions for a couple different kinds at the end of this post!
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Get my full disclosure here.
Why you’ll like this recipe for bubbles with glycerin
its super cheap to make
All together, you can make a half gallon of homemade bubble solution for about $3.
only 3 ingredients!
You only need dawn dish soap, glycerin and water to make the best homemade bubble solution. Can’t get much easier than that!
the ingredients are probably already in your cupboard
The only one of these ingredients you might need to go looking for is glycerin. You can find it at Walmart in the pharmacy section or on Amazon.
it takes minutes to get started
Stir the ingredients together, and you’re done!
you can use it right away, no need to let it sit overnight
A lot of recipes for homemade bubble solution say to let it sit overnight. That’s not necessary with this one. You can get started playing right away!
the bubbles are big and long lasting
The glycerin in this recipe makes big bubbles that last longer.
how to make this recipe for bubbles with glycerin
- distilled water – using distilled water is a good idea if you plan to store this solution for any length of time since bacteria can grow in regular tap water. Yuck.
- dawn dish soap – blue dawn dish soap (or a similar off brand dish soap) is the main ingredient in this easy bubble solution.
- glycerin – a common ingredient in cosmetics, glycerin is a natural substance that comes from vegetable oils. Its a great thing to add to your bubble solution because it attracts water. This keeps your bubbles from drying out too quickly and popping right away. You can find glycerin at Walmart in the pharmacy section or on Amazon.
read more about the many things you can use glycerin for.
- half gallon jar (or container with a lid) – this recipe makes a half gallon of bubble solution. It can be made and stored in the same container or poured into smaller containers for individual bubble solutions. I like to use a big pickle jar or you could use a plastic one from bulk sized ranch dressing. (but you’ll be eating ranch for a long time!)
- bubble wand – you can either buy bubble wands or make some with things you have in your house. Check out the easy DIY ones at the end of this post!
- bubble machine – a bubble machine is a fun way to use bubble solution without as much dripping and sticky hands.
how to make this recipe for bubbles with glycerin
mix – Mix the water, dish soap and glycerin together, making sure to stir slowly and carefully. You don’t want to whisk it because you don’t want a bunch of bubbles to form. I like to just gently swirl the ingredients together with my hand.
to store – store your homemade bubble solution in a container with a lid for up to 6 months. Just give it a quick stir each time before using it.
to use – stir the solution quickly, and pour some into a large shallow container for making giant bubbles, or a narrow jelly jar for smaller ones. Dip your bubble wand into the solution and blow!
substitutions – if you don’t have glycerin, you can substitute it with white corn syrup.
FAQ about this recipe for bubbles with glycerin
how do you make homemade bubbles that last longer?
Adding glycerin to your bubble solution will keep the bubbles from drying out and evaporating as quickly. Glycerin helps make homemade bubbles last longer and keeps them from popping as fast.
You can also use corn syrup for the same purpose instead of glycerin.
why does glycerin make homemade bubbles stronger?
Glycerin keeps the water in bubble solution from evaporating as quickly. When the water evaporates, the bubble dries out and pops. Glycerin slows this process, making the bubbles stronger and longer lasting.
can you add food coloring to bubble solution?
Yes! What’s more fun than blowing bubbles? Blowing colorful bubbles! Just add up to 10 drops of food coloring to your homemade bubble solution for pretty colored bubbles.
how to make an easy bubble wand
- 1 – pipe cleaner
- 10-12 pony beads
- Bend a pipe cleaner in half, forming the middle 3 inches into a circle.
- Twist a couple times right below the circle.
- String 10-12 pony beads below the circle.
- Bend the ends of the pipe cleaner back into pony beads.
how to make a DIY giant bubble wand
- 2 – 3/8 inch thick wooden dowels that are about 18 inches long
- cotton rope cut in two pieces – a 3 foot piece and a 5 foot piece
- 2 – screw eyes
- Screw one screw eye into one end of each of the dowels.
- Tie one end of the 5 foot rope to each of the screw eyes.
- Tie the 3 foot rope onto each of the screw eyes.
more homemade ideas for you
If you liked this recipe, I think you’ll really enjoy these other DIY ideas on the blog!
- Easy DIY Baby Wash
- Homemade Vinegar Fruit Wash
- The Best Homemade Hardwood Floor Cleaner
- Homemade Strawberry Lip Balm
- Homemade Honey Oatmeal Soap
I hope you love this recipe for bubbles with glycerin! If you make it, I’d love for you to come back and leave a comment and rating so that I know how you liked it!