These homemade, DIY makeup remover wipes with coconut oil are easy to make and a natural and gentle way to clean your face before bed.
Makeup remover wipes are one of those things that you can do without if you have to. (just takes some extra washing) But they’re so handy to have!
I had been doing just fine using my homemade face wash because it does actually remove my makeup! But I had grabbed a pack of makeup wipes to take to the hospital when I had my last baby, and it really was nice to have them on hand when I was in a rush or too lazy to wash my face at night.
I make my own DIY makeup remover wipes with coconut oil now because my eyes were usually irritated after using store-bought wipes. Come to find out, its because they contain high amounts of alcohol and chemicals that can actually mess with the PH balance of your skin and dry it out!
I use only all natural ingredients that actually moisturize your skin while cleaning off your makeup. Using coconut oil in these DIY makeup remover wipes, I can remove my eyeliner and mascara without having to rub my eyes too much and my skin feels smooth and soft.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Get my full disclosure here.
Why you will love these DIY makeup remover wipes with coconut oil
All of the ingredients in these wipes are natural and safe for your skin. No harsh chemicals and they’re also alcohol free.
easy to make
It literally takes 5 minutes to make a batch of 24 wipes! Just add the ingredients to a jar, add the cotton rounds and shake. Done!
Makeup remover wipes aren’t cheap and the cost can add up over time. These DIY wipes can be made at a fraction of the cost!
moisturizing and healing
Coconut oil is moisturizing and aloe vera gel can help heal acne.
Why you shouldn’t use store-bought makeup remover wipes
Most makeup wipes contain high amounts of alcohol and harsh chemicals that can really dry out your skin and irritate your eyes. They can also mess with your skin’s PH balance, which can actually cause acne problems.
Can you use coconut oil as a makeup remover?
Yes! You could actually just wipe straight coconut oil on your face with a clean cloth to remove your makeup. Coconut oil works as a moisturizer for your skin while removing your makeup. It is anti-bacterial, anti-fungi and helps with acne and other skin problems.
Using coconut oil in DIY makeup remover wipes, you want to use fractioned coconut oil. Other types of coconut oil solidify as they cool. Fractioned coconut oil, stays in liquid form, making it a better choice for some homemade skincare recipes.
What you need to make DIY makeup Remover wipes With Coconut Oil
- Coconut Oil – fractioned coconut oil is the kind to use for this recipe since it stays in a liquid form even when its cool. Coconut oil is a great makeup remover, even on its own. It moisturizes and heals your skin while cleaning it very gently.
- Castile Soap – castile soap is a gentle soap that can be used on the most sensitive skin types. Its perfect for makeup remover wipes since it doesn’t have any added fragrances or chemicals that can irritate your eyes. I even use it in my homemade baby wash.
- Witch Hazel – store-bought makeup remover wipes usually contain high amounts of alcohol. Witch hazel is similar to rubbing alcohol but it doesn’t dry your skin out. Its very good for acne prone and oily skin types since it tones and reduces skin irritations and swelling.
- Aloe Vera Gel – helps moisturize the skin and can clear up eczema and acne!
- Essential Oils – certain essential oils are very good to include in your skincare routine! Make sure the oils you choose are gentle and not too “hot” to use around your eyes. My favorite oils to use in homemade toiletries are lavender, geranium, frankincense and sandalwood. Read more about the best essential oils for your skin.
- Small Jar – a narrow jelly jar or an 8 ounce mason jar are perfect for storing these makeup pads. You want one that’s about 2 inches since cotton rounds are that size.
- Cotton Rounds – cotton rounds are exactly hat they sound like. They’re small, disc shaped rounds made out of cotton that are meant to be used to remove or apply makeup. They’re inexpensive and safe for your skin. I found mine at Target for a couple dollars. For a reusable option you could use bamboo pads instead.
How to make DIY makeup Remover wipes With Coconut oil:
Step 1: Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl.
Step 2: Stir until the ingredients are well combined.
Step 3: Fill your jar with a stack of 5 cotton rounds. Pour a Tablespoon of the mixture onto the rounds. Add 5 more, pour a tablespoon of the mixture onto those rounds. Repeat two more times, until you have 20 rounds in the jar and your soap mixture is used up. Top with 4 more rounds.
Step 4: Put the lid on your jar and let the pads soak up the liquid. Turning the jar upside down for a few minutes can help the liquid distribute evenly.
When you go to remove your makeup, use one cotton round to gently wipe your eyes and face.
These DIY makeup wipes should be stored in a jar with the lid tightly sealed for up to 6 months.
You can use any of your favorite gentle essential oils or a combination of a few.
For a waste free version, just mix up the ingredients in a small jar or bottle. To use, squirt a small amount of the mixture onto a cotton or bamboo pads and wipe your makeup off. Wash as directed on your reusable pads package.
More DIY Toiletries on the blog:
If you liked this recipe, I think you’ll really enjoy these other homemade toiletries on the blog!
- All Natural Baby Wash
- Homemade Honey Oatmeal Soap – With Pink Clay
- DIY Strawberry Lip Balm
- Homemade Orange Blossom Face Wash
- Handmade Orange Lip Balm
I hope you love this recipe for DIY makeup wipes! If you make them, I’d love for you to come back and leave a comment and rating so that I know how you like using them!
Pin these steps to try later. Tag @athomeontheprairie on Instagram to share what you’ve made with us!